Food Handler Certification Program
Food handler education is the most effective method in preventing food born illnesses. According to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Food Safety Protocol, it is highly recommended “that a minimum of one operator and food handler each be certified, and at least one certified food handler be present in the food premises at all times during operation”. The Timiskaming Health Unit offers Food Handler Certification Courses designed to provide food premises operators with the basic knowledge and skills they need to comply with safe food handling and sanitation practices required by the Ministry. The course aims to compliment the ongoing promotional and inspection activities of our Health Unit.
There are three ways to become certified - full day course, home study or on-site training:
- Full day course: classroom workshop and examination at the Timiskaming Health Unit. Each course is approximately 5 hours long. For more details see our schedule of dates and locations.
- On-site training: workshop can be scheduled at your premises for groups of ten or more.
- Home study: study at home and take examination at the Timiskaming Health Unit. You can obtain our printed study guide in English at the Food Safety training locations. Self-study exams are held at our office locations by an appointment.
It is highly recommended that you review the manual prior to the course in preparation for the exam. A passing mark of 70% on the exam is required for your certificate. Certificates are valid for five years and are recognized throughout Ontario. Study manuals are available in English, French and Chinese.
Dates and Locations for full day 2013 courses
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Health Unit Auditorium
To register for the next Food Handler Certification course call your local Timiskaming Health Unit office:
247 Whitewood Ave., Unit 43
81 Fifth Street
31 Station Road N.
Other Self-Study Options
- TrainCan - many health units have an agreement with the TrainCan
- Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association
- National Food Safety Training Program - by the Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association using the Food Safety Code of Practice
- Ontario Independent Meat Processors - this training and examination is coordinated through the University of Guelph, Food Technology Centre
- FoodPrep - upon successful completion of the course exam the participants are receiving a Food Handler Certificate from Toronto Public Health
Food Handler certificate obtained from another Ontario health unit or from another recognized certification agency is valid at the Timiskaming Health Unit. HACCP and advanced training
is available on-line from the TrainCan
. The following alternate certification agencies are currently recognized as equivalent are:
Manager Level Food Safety Training by TrainCan
March 21, 2013