Timiskaming Health Unit’s registered dental hygienists offer visual dental screenings in all publically funded schools in our area.
What is the purpose of this program?
- Screenings helps us identify children who would qualify for free dental care through Healthy Smiles Ontario
- This dental screening does not replace a complete dental exam by a dentist. Please continue with regular visits.
How does the program work?
- A notification will be sent from your child’s school prior to our visit. If you wish to opt out of the program, please contact the health unit.
- All students in grades JK, SK, 2, 4 and 7 participate in the screening. Children with outstanding follow-up also participate.
- Guidelines of infection prevention control set out by the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario and by Infection Prevention and Control Canada are met. And only a mirror is used for the screening.
- If your child is identified with an urgent dental condition, follow-up must be completed by a dentist.
- If treatment would cause a financial hardship, you may apply for Health Smiles Ontario. Click here for more details.
We are here to help your child reach optimal oral health! If you have any questions about our school dental screening program, please contact us. Screening is also available at the health unit, and you can contact us to make an appointment.
New Liskeard Dental Team
705-647-4305 (1-866-747-4305), Ext. 2280
Kirkland Lake/Englehart Dental Team
705-567-9355 (1-866-967-9355), Ext. 3229