The goal of the Dental Program is to provide public education and promote the prevention of dental disease.
- Dental screenings and follow-up monitoring of elementary students are a part of mandatory requirements under the Ontario Public Health Standards (2008 or as current).
- Screenings provide a means of identifying children who may qualify for our program.
- Information collected is used to measure dental health, and plan and deliver dental services.
- Preliminary Dental Screening is done by a Registered Dental Hygienist.
- You will be notified if your child has any treatment needs or is eligible for preventive services.
- Meet guidelines of infection prevention and control set out by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
- Sterilized instruments and new gloves are used for each student.
This does not replace your child’s regular dental examination with x-rays by a dentist, and your child should continue to have dental checkups.
Most screenings are done at your child’s school but can also be arranged at the health unit. If you wish to have your child excluded from dental screenings, please telephone the dental staff at the Timiskaming Health Unit.
705-647-4305, Ext. 2280
705-567-9355, Ext. 3229
Or mail a letter to:
Timiskaming Health Unit
247 Whitewood Avenue, Unit 43
PO Box 1090
New Liskeard, ON P0J 1P0
Please remember to include your child's name, school and grade.