Good nutrition is important at any age!
As we grow older our nutrition needs change, but eating well is always
an important part of staying healthy. Now is not the time to limit what you eat, but to have a balanced
diet. Check some of the tips and resources below to eat well for life!
Why is healthy eating so important as I age?
A balanced diet and good nutrition will:
- Give you the energy and nutrients you need for your daily tasks
- Help you fell strong and well
- Prevent and slow the progress of chronic diseases such as heart disease and type 2 diabetes
- Help you maintain strength
- Prevent unwanted muscle and bone loss, decreasing your risk of falling or breaking your bones
What can I do to make sure I am eating well?
While healthy eating habits are similar at any age, adults over
the age of 50 have a few specific nutrition needs. Here are 2 examples:
- Make sure to include sources of protein in your main meals, and varied ones. Protein is the main nutrient you need to keep your strength and muscles. Different sources include meat/fish, legumes, nuts, eggs and tofu.
- Get you daily calcium and Vitamin D; this vitamin is essential in keeping your bones strong. Because it can be hard to get the vitamin D you need from foods, adults over the age of 50 are encouraged to take a supplement of at least 400 IU vitamin D daily. Check with your doctor if
you are not taking this supplement.
For more details on healthy eating
habits after 50 check the Guide Healthy Eating
for Older Adults from Unlock Food
See how well you are doing and how you can improve!
minutes to complete the 14 question Nutri-eSCREEN about your eating habits then check out great resources based on your results and needs.
Talk to a Registered
Learn about dietitian services available